Key Stage 4 (Year 10, 11)
All students in Key stage 4 study the core subjects of English Language and Literature, Mathematics, Science, Religious Studies, Physical Education and PSHCE. In addition to these core subjects, students choose an appropriate personalised pathway from a range of courses which are carefully selected to match their learning needs and maximise achievement. Students choose one of three pathways which are detailed in the Key Stage 4 options booklet found below. As of September 2016, there have been changes to the way all GCSE courses have been taught and graded. The main features are:
- A new grading scale of 9 to 1, with 9 being the top grade. This is to allow greater differentiation between students and to help distinguish the new GCSEs from previous versions.
- Assessment is mainly by exam, with other types of assessment used only when they are needed to test essential skills.
- New, more demanding content, developed by the government and exam boards.
- Courses are designed for two years of study. They will no longer be divided into different modules and students will take all their exams in one period at the end of their course.
- Exams can only be split into ‘foundation tier’ and ‘higher tier’ if one exam paper does not give all students the opportunity to show their knowledge and abilities.
- Resit opportunities will only be available each November in English Language and Mathematics.
If you would like to find out more about our curriculum, please contact Mr S. Ward (Assistant Headteacher in charge of Curriculum and Assessment).
- Full Curriculum Information
- Key Stage 4 Full Curriculum Information
- Preparing for Exams in 2021 Year 10 Support Pack - Information For Parents
- Be Prepared For Year 11 GCSE and Btec Exam Information for 2021 KS4 Topic List 2020
- Revision Resources
- One Stop Revision Shop
- Websites for Revision
- Effective GCSE Revision Skills 2020